I would define social media as channels of communication that allow for social interaction. These channels provide an easy connection among people all over the world.
Facebook seems to be the most popular medium among my age group. According to this week’s assigned readings, journalists are using Facebook to publicize their articles, find sources and come up with story ideas.
I think that journalists could also use Facebook for investigative pieces when they are looking for clues. It can also be used to take a poll or to ask group members for their opinion on something. A journalist could post a status with a question and learn a lot from the response comments. Facebook can also keep journalists updated on other journalists and the stories they are working on.
I have used Facebook for my articles several times. For example, I once wrote an article about the implementation of minus grades at UF, and I had already interviewed a couple of students who supported the change. I then found a Facebook group with UF students who opposed minus grades. I messaged some of them to schedule an interview and hear their point of view.
There are times when legal or ethical issues might arise. For example, it would be unethical to use Facebook friends as sources for stories. It might also be illegal to use someone’s private information in an article without asking for permission. Facebook is a good place to start on any article, but it should not be the only source used. Thorough research and ethical reporting should always be a priority. I also think journalists should explicitly attribute information found on Facebook. If used wisely, Facebook can be a wonderful tool for journalists.
No comments:
Post a Comment