The second article “The Reconstruction of American Journalism,” also discusses this transformation but focuses on its economic impact on newspapers. The author discusses how newspapers have lost revenue throughout the years but also how reporting has become a collaborative effort as university faculty members, students, and citizens now decide what is newsworthy.
Although newspapers have been financially affected by this change, I believe that community journalism offers a way to improve the quality and demand for news. As citizens provide valuable analysis and information, the quality of news improves. The reporter then does his or her part to collect and organize data and write the final product. The final product becomes so valuable that people would be willing to pay to view it and educate themselves. I believe that media companies can and should begin to charge for online subscriptions to news organizations. As a matter of fact, The New York Times just announced that it will begin charging $15 per month to its most frequent readers for online access.
With an increase in video, audio, graphic work and citizen fact-checking, news organziations have much more to offer readers than they did just a few years ago. Yearly or monthly digital subscriptions would provide a worthy package for a reasonable cost.
I also think that the idea of community journalism allows people to serve as watchdogs of the media. The entire process becomes more transparent and truthful as reporters begin to consult citizens throughout the entire process. This makes me wonder: Do journalists plagiarize less and break less rules when citizens are working with them on stories? I think citizen input might help reduce these kinds of scandals.
I believe that media companies should embrace the changes the internet has brought and use them to their advantage. If all companies had done so at first instead of firing staff and cutting down the budget, their current situations might look a little brighter.
No comments:
Post a Comment