Saturday, February 26, 2011

Strat7

Assignment 3
 
The article, “UF records: Weis salary $765K" demonstrates how an enterprise story can miss the big picture.

Although it is shocking that the new football assistant coach makes three or four times more than a professor per year, the writer does not discuss public opinion about his pay.

I think the story should show more of the reaction to his pay and not just of how much he earns compared to other UF sports coaches.

Questions I would ask include to narrow down the story include:

-Why did the school decide to pay him so much?
-Where does this money come from?
-How are people reacting to this salary?
-Is it justified for him to receive so much pay?
-How do professors feel when they hear about this?
-How do student feel when they find out where their tuition money is spent? 

The answers to these questions would provide a more interesting and relevant story. If I were the reporter, I would interview people around campus to see what they think. I would present them with the facts and then capture their reaction. 




No comments:

Post a Comment